Let me tell you about a time when I used to HATE vegetables. When I was younger my parents would refuse to let me leave the dinner table until I had eaten all the vegetables on my plate. Being the stubborn child that I was, I would sit there long after dinner was over staring at the soft cooked carrots and broccoli in front of me. After doing the dishes, they’d go into the living room to watch TV and I’d surreptitiously feed the cold mushy vegetables to the dogs, anxiously awaiting my scraps underneath the table.
Fast forward 15 years and I cannot get enough of vegetables. I LOVE THEM – they happen to be some of my favorite foods when cooked right (although I still can’t go near cooked carrots after being traumatized as a child). Zucchini ranks on my list of top 3 favorite vegetables. It is extremely versatile in that it can be eaten so many different ways – raw, cooked, as noodles, as fries, in bread etc. The possibilities are endless!
The other day I enjoyed a delicious salmon burger for dinner and instead of sauteing or baking zucchini as a side as I routinely do, I decided to spice things up a bit and make zucchini fries! Because what is a burger without a side of fries, am I right?
This was my first time making zucchini fries and they turned out quite well! They weren’t as crispy as I would have liked but that’s even more of a reason to keep experimenting.
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Slice zucchini into 1/2 inch strips (they should resemble fries)
- Mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt & pepper in shallow bowl. Whisk egg in a separate bowl.
- Dip the zucchini strips into the egg mixture, shake off excess and then coat in the bread crumb mixture. Place on tray and repeat until all fries are coated.
- Bake zucchini fries for 30 minutes, turning fries over about halfway through. Fries should be golden and crisp.
This fries can be an appetizer or a side dish for your main course. They are so easy to prepare and equally as delicious. You might even forget that you’re eating vegetables – they are that good!